DVM, MSc, Diplomate ACVP
Professor of Pathology
Veterinary Histology and Embryology (VB103), Veterinary Pathology I (VB303), Veterinary Pathology II (VB403)
Dr. Hanna received a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Guelph in 1982 followed by a Diploma of Veterinary Pathology from the same institution in 1984. He then moved to Prince Edward Island in 1983 to work as a diagnostic pathologist with the Department of Agriculture. Starting in 1986, Dr. Hanna was employed as an anatomic pathologist, sessional lecturer, and supervisor of morphologic pathology at the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC), University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI). He completed a Master of Science degree (UPEI) in veterinary pathology in 1989 and attained board certification status in anatomic pathology from the American College of Veterinary Pathology (ACVP) in 1991. He was employed as an adjunct professor and diagnostic pathologist with the Department of Pathology and Microbiology at the AVC from 1989 until 2002 and served as Director of Diagnostic Services from 1992 to 1996. He was appointed associate professor in veterinary pathology at the AVC in 2002, tenured in 2005, and continued working there until 2018. Since 2018, Dr. Hanna has been a visiting professor at St Matthew’s University (SMU) and was appointed to a full-time position of Professor of Veterinary Pathology at SMU at the start of 2022.
Over the past 35 years, Dr. Hanna has gained extensive teaching experience, at both the undergraduate and graduate level (ie residency training and research supervision). In 2010 he received the Vetoquinol Clinical Teaching Award and in 2012 was honored with the Pfizer Carl J. Norden Distinguished Teaching Award for the AVC, which is regarded as the most prestigious teaching award given annually at each of the veterinary colleges in North America. Throughout his career, he has worked continuously in diagnostic pathology performing and/or supervising thousands of necropsies and surgical biopsies, in a variety of domestic animal species. Additionally, he has made a modest contribution to veterinary research with 37 peer-reviewed publications. His research has been published in numerous scientific journals, including Emerging Infectious Diseases, Veterinary Pathology, Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, Toxicological Sciences, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, American Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Preventive Veterinary Medicine, Toxicological Sciences, Laboratory Animal Science, and others.
Veterinary dermatopathology and Pathogenesis of infectious diseases
2012 - Pfizer Carl J. Norden Distinguished Teaching Award
2010 - Vetoquinol Clinical Teaching Award
- Biermann NM, Doyle AJ, Hanna P, Stoughton WB. Acute hindlimb paresis caused by extension of a peripheral nerve sheath tumour into the spinal canal of a horse. Equine Vet Educ. 2022; 34(3): 120-124.
- Gilroy C, Raab O, Hanna P. Pathology in Practice: Penile necrosis and stranguria in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2020; 257(2): 161-164.
- Charnock L, Alvarez-Sanchez A, Dundas J, Hanna P. A perineal cystic hamartoma causing constipation in an intact female Irish Water Spaniel. Can Vet J. 2019; 60(11):1166-1170.
- Darby B, Dickinson C, Gaskins L, Hanna P. Prevalence of heartworm infection in the feral cat population of Grand Cayman. J. Feline Med. Surg, 2019; 5(1): 1-7.
- Amorim MD, Chenier, TS, Card C, Back B, Mcclure JT, Hanna P (2018). Treatment of Hydropsical Conditions Using Transcervical Gradual Fetal Fluid Drainage in Mares With or Without Concurrent Abdominal Wall Disease. J Equine Vet Sci 2018; 64: 81-88.
- Verocai GG, Conboy G, Lejeune M, Marron M, Hanna P, MacDonald E, Skorobohach B, Wilcock B, Kutz SJ, Gilleard JS. Onchocerca lupi Nematodes in Dogs Exported from the United States into Canada. Emerg Infect Dis 2016; 22(8): 1477-1479.
- Nekouei O, Stryhn H, VanLeeuwen J, Kelton D, Hanna P, Keefe G. Predicting within-herd prevalence of infection with bovine leukemia virus using bulk-tank milk antibody levels. Prev Vet Med. 2015; 122: 53-60.
- Gomez DE, Valberg SJ, Magdesian KG, Hanna PE, Lofstedt J. Acquired multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency and marked selenium deficiency causing severe rhabdomyolysis in a horse. Can Vet J. 2015; 56(11): 1166–1171.
- Overy DP, Martin C, Muckle A, Lund L, Wood J, Hanna P. Cutaneous Phaeohyphomycosis Caused by Exophiala attenuata in a Domestic Cat. Mycopathologia. 2015;180(3-4): 281-7.
- Legge CH, López A, Hanna P, Côté E, Hare E, Martinson SA. Histological Characterization of Dilated Cardiomyopathy in the Juvenile Toy Manchester Terrier. Vet Pathol 2013; 50(6): 1043-52.
- Saut, JPE, Oliveira PM, Nasciutti NR, Medeiros AA, Magalhães GM, Tsuruta SA, Hanna P, Headley SA. Vaginal leiomyosarcoma in a cow from Uberlândia, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Ciência Rural 2013; 43(5): 897-901.
- Clark K, Hanna P, Béraud R. Sialolipoma of a minor salivary gland in a dog. Can Vet J 2013; 54(5): 467–470.
- Ali H, Ahmed A, Ali AA, Atta MS, Hanna P, Cepica A. Detection, genotyping, and antigen distribution of bovine viral diarrhoea virus in archival formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissues. Revue Med Vet. 2012; 163(5): 219-26.
- Schnier JJ, Hanna PE. Feline porphyria associated with anemia, severe hepatic disease, and renal calculi. Can Vet J. 2010; 51: 1146-1151.
- Martinson SA, Hanna PE, Ikede BO, Lewis JP, Miller LM, Keefe GP, McKenna SL. Comparison of bacterial culture, histopathology, and immunohistochemistry for the diagnosis of Johne's disease in culled dairy cows. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2008; 20: 51-7.
- Peyrou M, Hanna PE, Cribb AE. Calpain inhibition but not reticulum endoplasmic stress preconditioning protects rat kidneys from p-aminophenol toxicity. Toxicol Sci. 2007; 99(1): 338-45.
- Peyrou M, Hanna PE, Cribb AE. Cisplatin, gentamicin, and p-aminophenol induce markers of endoplasmic reticulum stress in the rat kidneys. Toxicol Sci. 2007; 99(1): 346-53.
- Haruna J, Hanna P, Hurnik D, Ikede B, Miller L, Yason C. The role of immunostimulation in the development of postweaning multisystemic wasting syndrome in pigs under field conditions. Can J Vet Res. 2006 Oct; 70(4): 269-76.
- Khodakaram Tafti A, Hanna P, Bourque AC. Calcinosis Circumscripta in the Dog. A Retrospective Pathologic Study. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2005; 52: 13-17.
- Snead EC, Lavers C, Hanna P. A challenging case: A febrile dog with a swollen tarsus and multiple skin lesions. Veterinary Medicine 2004; 99: 940-948.
- McKenna SL, Keefe GP, Barkema HW, McClure J, Vanleeuwen JA, Hanna P, Sockett DC. Cow-level prevalence of paratuberculosis in culled dairy cows in Atlantic Canada and Maine. J Dairy Sci. 2004; 87(11): 3770-7.
- Marcotte L, McConkey SE, Hanna P, Foley P, Burton S. Malignant adrenal neuroblastoma in a young dog. Can Vet J. 2004; 45(9): 773-6.
- Lopez A, Spracklin D, McConkey S, Hanna P. Cutaneous mucinosis and mastocytosis in a shar-pei. Can Vet J. 1999; 40(12): 881-3.
- Burton S, Delay J, Holmes A, Somerville C, Eye J, Shaw D, Wack O, Hanna P. Hypoadrenocorticism in young Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. Can Vet J 1997; 38(4): 231-4.
- Craig S, Conboy G, Hanna PE. Baylisascaris sp. infection in a Guinea pig. Lab Anin Sci. 1995; 45:312-314.
- Lopez A, Lane I, Hanna PE. Adult respiratory distress syndrome in a dog with acute pancreatitis. Can Vet J. 1995; 36: 240-241.
- Basher AW, Novotny M, Hanna PE. Failure of oral taurine supplementation to influence skin flap survival in rats. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995; 95: 888-893.
- Lofstedt J, White SD, Garlik DS, Hanna PE. Severe psoroptic mange and endoparasitism in a Nubian doe. Can Vet J. 1994; 35: 716-718.
- Hurnik D, Hanna PE, Yason C, Lopez A, Wadoswska D. Interstitial pneumonia in piglets on Prince Edward Island. Can Vet J. 1993; 34: 622-623.
- Hurnik D, Hanna PE, Dohoo IR. Evaluation of rapid gross visual appraisal for swine lungs at slaughter as a diagnostic screen for enzootic pneumonia. Can J Vet Res. 1993; 57: 37- 41.
- Hitt ME, Hanna PE, Singh A. Percutaneous transabdominal hepatic needle biopsies in dogs. Am J Vet Res. 1992; 53: 785-787.
- Basher AW, Hogan PM, Hanna PE, Runyon CL, Shaw DH. Surgical treatment of a bronchoesophageal fistula in a Cairn terrier. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1991; 199: 479-482.
- Hanna PE, Bellamy JEC, Donald A. Postmortem eyefluid analysis in dogs, cats and cattle as an estimate of antemortem serum chemistry profiles. Can J Vet Res. 1990; 54: 487-494.
- Hanna PE, Ogilvie TH. Congenital hypotrichosis in an Ayrshire calf. Can Vet J. 1989; 30: 249-250.
- Hanna PE, Percy DH, Paturzo F, Bhatt PN. Sialodacryoadenitis in the rat: Effects of
immunosuppression on the course of the disease. Am J Vet Res. l984; 45: 2077-2083.
- Percy DH, Hanna PE, Paturzo F, Bhatt PN. Comparison of strain susceptibility to experimental sialodacryoadenitis in rats. Lab Anim Sci. l984; 34: 255-260.
- Percy DH, Hanna PE, Bhatt PN. Experimental sialodacryoadenitis in the laboratory rat: Hematologic, biochemical and histologic studies. Symposium on Laboratory Animal Science. 1983; 48: 116-126.
- Hanna P. Cutaneous-genital habronemiasis in a horse. Presented at the at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, Charlottetown, PEI June 5, 2016
- Hanna P. Atypical Actinobacillosis in a Group of Feedlot Cattle. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, Charlottetown, PEI, June 7,
- Hanna P. Feline sarcoids. Presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, Halifax, 20-21 July 2002.
- Hanna P. Symmetrical truncal alopecia in rats. Presented at the annual meeting of the Canadian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, Halifax, July 7, 1990.
- Hanna P. The diagnostic value of postmortem eyefluid analysis in dogs, cats and cattle. Presented at the Vth International Symposium, World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, Guelph, June 1989.
Infectious diseases of domestic animals and Veterinary dermatopatholgy