Get in touch for more information
St. Matthew’s Vet Admissions Requirements
Do you dream of becoming a veterinarian? Are you willing to work hard to pursue your dream? If so, then we welcome your application. We believe that any student who has a compelling interest in veterinary medicine, a commitment to service, and a strong work ethic deserves an opportunity to study veterinary medicine.
- General Biology or Zoology: One academic year with laboratory. An applicant can substitute a biology-related course for ½ year of general biology.
- General Chemistry: One academic year.
- Organic Chemistry: ½ academic year with laboratory.
- Biochemistry: ½ academic year.
- Math, Physics or Computer Science: ½ academic year.
- Graduates of accredited veterinary technician programs may be admitted to SMUSVM’s DVM program without additional coursework.
Are you missing most or all of our recommended courses? Then please consider our 8-month online Pre-Veterinary Master’s Program, which awards an MSc in Biological Science. Students who successfully complete the program earn automatic admission to SMUSVM’s DVM program.
There is no standardized examination required for admission. However, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is recommended.
Since English is the language of instruction at SMUSVM, it is important that applicants be prepared to understand the curriculum and be able to communicate effectively. Applicants whose principal language is not English may be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
SMUSVM welcomes applications from qualified transfer students. Acceptance of transfer credits is at the discretion of SMUSVM.
A candidate for the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine must have abilities and skills in the five broad areas of observation, communication, motor function, intellectual-conceptual, and behavioral and social.